Should I Book a Guided or self-drive Tour in Uganda?
Known as the pearl of Africa, it is one of the most beautiful countries to visit on planet earth. Uganda is gifted by many things but the most attractive thing that one shouldn’t miss before living planet earth is to go gorilla trekking in Uganda’s national parks of Bwindi and Mgahinga national parks. Not only gorillas, the country is well-known for a wide range of bird species, wild animals and in them it harbor’s the rear type of lions that do climb trees found in the ishasah sector of Queen Elizabeth National Park. The country is also good for cultural tours, good scenic grounds, beaches and a city where people never sleep with night clubs.
With all those gifts she owes, many people all over the world would like to have a visit to this beautiful country but many people find it hard to decide whether to go on a guide or self drive Uganda tour. Would I like to travel with a guide or by our self? It is important to make an informed decision. Here are the differences between guided and self-drive trips, making it easier for you to decide what to choose. Please bear in mind, however, that choosing a self-drive trip doesn’t mean that you are completely on your own. Our office in Uganda is available to assist you at all times and, even on self-drive trips, a lot of the activities recommend by us such as game drives in parks are guided, in order to give you the best possible experience.
- A self-drive trip is cheaper because you don’t pay a daily rate for the guide or for his/her accommodation and food. Your choice of vehicle will also make a difference in the overall cost of a self-drive trip. While guided trips can be more expensive as you will have to pay for the guide but the overall cost per person depends on the number of people included in your party. For example, a guided trip will be more expensive for a one to two persons than for a group of six people and above.
- On a self-drive trip you drive yourself. This might sound appealing but remember that the one who drives has to keep his/her eyes on the road and can’t enjoy the scenery and he will get more tired than the rest. While on a guided trip, everyone in your group is free to relax and enjoy the scenery as your guide drives you around
- On a self-drive trip you don’t have the luxury of asking a guide to explain certain things, animals or birds, leaving a lot of questions unanswered. While the main advantage of a guided trip may be the fact that you can, at any time, ask your guide questions, allowing you to learn a lot about this amazing country, its beautiful nature and interesting culture here in Uganda.
- You may think you’ll have a lot more privacy or ‘together time’ on a self-drive trip. This will undoubtedly be the case, however, even on a guided tour we can schedule enough ‘alone time’. While it is a misconception that guided tours grant you no privacy. Our guide also needs this! Therefore, we always try to strike a balance. Basically, the guide is at your disposal when required but he will at regular occasions allow you to enjoy an evening of private dining at a restaurant or an afternoon to yourselves.
- It is equally a mistake to think that you have no guide during your self-drive trip. Most of the activities we recommend and book for you are led by a guide. In your quote, we will clearly indicate which activities are guided and which are not. Remember, however, that we cannot guarantee the quality of these guides. Some of these guides are very good but some, unfortunately, are disinterested, unintelligible, don’t speak proper English or simply do not know very much. While on a guided tour, even if you undertake guided activities organised by the accommodation establishment and with a local guide, our guide is available to offer additional explanations, which with no doubt guarantee the quality of your experience. Hence once again you will be in the perfect position to enjoy and learn optimally about the culture and nature.
- On a self-drive trip you are at some destinations responsible for your own game drives. This means relying on your own skill, as well as luck. This could result in either not seeing many animals or seeing an animal but not knowing what it is or what it’s doing. You can arm yourself with books for your self-drive trip, this increases the cost as well as your luggage. While another major advantage of a guided trip, particularly on game drives, it is his expertise when it comes to wildlife. You simply have a much greater chance of seeing more animals with a guide than driving through the park by yourself. Our guides know where to find certain animals, what to look out for, are able to recognise and follow tracks, detect sounds, and so on. And when the guide has found an animal, he can tell you a lot about it. But this should be put in mind that national parks are not like Zoos were you will just find the animal I the cadge. So if you miss out seeing some animals do not complain..
- Finding your way around while on a self-drive trip is not a problem because with Tailor Made Safaris you not only get a detailed itinerary but we also supply you with a TomTom satellite navigation system at an additional cost for the duration of your trip. All destinations on your trip are pre-programmed into the system, making driving around by yourself easy and hassle-free. This service puts Tailor Made Safaris head and shoulders above its competitors! While it goes without saying that on a guided trip you do not have to worry about finding your way around. Your private guide ensures that you always arrive at your destination on time and without rushing, taking into account your wishes along the way. If you want to stop and take a picture of the scenery on the way, that is possible too! After all, this is your tailor made safari!
- On your Uganda self drive trip there’s no need to worry about keeping in touch. Tailor Made Safaris includes a Ugandan SIM card for the duration of your trip, allowing you to easily make cheap phone calls as and when you need to. As part of our service to self-drive guests, we regularly send you text messages with advice, or to make sure everything is to your liking. All part of the Tailor Made Safaris service… For the guided, our guides take care of your safety during a guided trip. There is always a very small chance of something going wrong; a double booking on site, a defect in the car, or you ate something bad; anything is possible. In the unfortunate event of something like this happening, you can always rely on the expertise and responsibility of your guide who will take care of the problem.
With this information or differences, one will be able to decide whether to take a self drive or guided tour in Uganda.